This a fast and irresistible appetizer prepared with only two ingredients: prunes and bacon. Pitted prunes are wrapped with bacon and cooked in the oven until bacon becomes crispy and tasty. The combination of prunes and bacon is delicious: the sweet flavor of prunes mix well with the bacon’s salty taste. When the bacon fat melts during cooking, it lends a special touch of extra flavor to the prunes. When you start eating these appetizing bites, it is hard to stop…..uno tira l’altro!
INVOLTINI DI PRUGNE E BACON (PRUNES AND BACON ROLLS)
8 thin slices of bacon
8 pitted prunes
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350°F)
2. Soak the prunes for 8 minutes in water. Remove and dry
3. Wrap each prune with a sheet of bacon (about 15 cm long and 2.5 cm wide ). Pierce a toothpick through center of prunes to hold bacon into place
4. Arrange the rolls on a baking sheet covered with a baking paper
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, turning once, until bacon is crispy. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Note: You can substitute the prunes with almond-stuffed dates. -Paola