Chicken breast rolls are a perfect and healthy dish for a family dinner any day of the week.
The preparation is simple: lay a slice of chicken breast flat and place sliced ham and sage leaves on it, then just roll them up and cut in half, making beautiful and tasty rolls. Sage is a common ingredient in the Italian culinary tradition, used for example, in roast meat, fish and stuffing for poultry. Current studies have demonstrated that sage extract can enhance cognitive performance, a similar effect found in coffee and tea. In addition sage has anti-inflammatory properties, especially in the connective tissue of the gums. Many toothpastes, in fact, contain sage extract.
It is possible to use other fillings such prosciutto crudo, speck or cooked spinach with pine nuts.. My recipe has a delicate taste suitable for children as well.
INVOLTINI DI POLLO ALL’ ITALIANA (ITALIAN STYLE CHICKEN BREAST ROLLS)
6 slices of skinless chicken breast (about 400 g, 14 oz)
6 thin slices of ham
12 sage leaves
60 g (4 tablespoons) butter
Dry white wine
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Pound the chicken slices (1/4 inch thick)
2. Place a slice of ham slice on each piece of chicken, then 2 sage leaves on both ends
3. Roll each slice and cut in half crosswise between the sage leaves. Secure each of two rolls with a tooth-pick
4. In a nonstick pan melt the butter. Add the chicken rolls and sauté over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides
5. Add a splash of white wine and let evaporate over medium-high heat
6. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. – Paola