Beets are something that you either love or hate. This recipe will make you love them: crispy and delicately sweet, perfect for a snack or an aperitivo (aperitif).
Aperitivo (the Italian happy hour) is certainly one of the most fun food experiences that you can try in Italy.
Aperitivo is served with a drink for example Aperol spitz, Martini spirtz and some stuzzichini (savory snacks such as olives, focaccia, chips) or a free food buffet.
Replace the classic French fries with these homemade baked red beet chips – healthier, cheaper and above all tastier!
CHIPS DI BARBABIETOLA ROSSA (RED BEET CHIPS)
2 medium size red beets
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Trim the beets of greens and the roots. Wash well under cold water, dry with kitchen paper and peel. Remember to use disposable gloves to keep your hands clean. Use a kitchen mandolin to slice the beets (about 1.5/2mm; 1/16” thin). If you don’t have a mandolin, use a very sharp knife
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Set the baking rack in the middle
3. In a large bowl mix the beets slices with a few spoons of olive olive and a pinch of salt. Let it rest for 15 minutes. If there is some liquid remove it, pat dry with kitchen paper. Place the sliced beets onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper being careful not to overlap. You will need more than one baking sheet
4. Bake the chips for 15-20 minutes, depending on how thin the beets are cut and how large they are
5. Remove and turn to the other side. Bake for an additional 15-20 min. When they are done they should change color from dark purple to light purple/orange. They burn pretty fast, so check regularly
6. Remove the rack from the oven and allow the beets to cool on the pan, they’ll crisp as they cool. Once cool, transfer to a cooling rack to until dry and crisp. – Paola