Blackberry pie is a perfect summer dessert; it is reminds of my childhood. As a child, I went with my mother and sister to pick blackberries in the woods. To this day, I do it with my children and the tradition has not changed. Afterwards we have fun preparing delicious jams and pies with the freshly-picked friut. This pie is easy, but just as tasty and fragrant as fresh fruit. The base is made with flour, sugar and butter, while the filling consists of fresh blackberries, yogurt flavored with lemon zest and almond extract, a real treat that combines crunchiness and creaminess. Also, do not forget the health benefits of blackberries.
This fruit contains high amounts of antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and fiber. It has diuretic properties, purifying and refreshing and is perfect for the summer season.
This dessert can be served with homemade Italian vanilla ice cream, a delicious gelato. It’s great as a dessert or as a snack during the day.
TORTA DI MORE (BLACKBERRY PIE)
Preparation time: 75 minutes Baking time: 45 minutes Servings: 8
270 g (1 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour
130 g (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons ) sugar
113 g (1/2 cup) butter, cold and cut into cubes
Pinch of salt
210 g (1 cup) sugar
150 g (5 oz) yogurt
60 g (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
1 pinch of salt
Grated zest of half lemon
1 teaspoon almond extract
450 g (1 pound) blackberries
1. Preheat oven to 170 °C (350° F)
2. Wash blackberries under running water and dry with paper towel. Set aside.
3. To prepare the dough blend flour, sugar and salt for a few seconds in a food processor. Add butter and blend for about 1 minute to obtain a mixturewith a sandy texture. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the egg. Knead quickly until you get a homogeneous ball. Do not work it too much otherwise it will be tough. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes
4. Save about ⅓ of the dough for decoration and roll out the rest with your hands on the bottom and sides of the pan, preferably ceramic, and with a diameter of about 25 cm (10 inches). Cook for 10 minutes and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
5. To prepare the filling, beat the eggs, sugar, yogurt, flour, salt, lemon zest and almond extract in a large bowl. Add the berries and stir very gently without breaking the fruit. Place the mixture on the pastry shell previously prepared. Crumble the remaining pie dough and cover the top
6. Bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool and serve. It is a good warm and freshly-baked, but it will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days too!
Note: Once picked blackberries should be consumed fresh to preserve their aroma and properties; you can keep them in the refrigerator, but only for a few days. Paola