Cabbage rolls are a tasty and comforting main dish to prepare in the cold months when cabbage is in season. These delicious rolls consist in pre-cooked cabbage leaves wrapped around a rich filling of ground beef, sausage and vegetables. Then they are baked in the oven to enhance the flavors. The addition of Parmesan cheese in the filling and on the top makes this recipe even tastier and more flavorful. Cabbage is a winter vegetable, especially in North-Central regions of Italy. It was used since ancient times for its therapeutic properties; it is rich in minerals (potassium and phosphorus), vitamin C, folic acid and compounds that prevent intestinal cancer. You can enjoy it in many different recipes starting from first courses (rice, soups and Pizzoccheri), as well as in main courses in particular with the pork meat (in Lombardy “Casoeula” is a typical dish prepared with cabbage and pork ribs, delicious!) or for the preparation of appetizing rolls and tasty side dishes.
INVOLTINI DI VERZA (CABBAGE ROLLS)
Preparation time: 1 hour Cooking time: 15 minutes Servings: 4-5
10 large leaves of cabbage
400 g (14 oz) ground beef
1 Italian sausage
50 g (2 oz) stale bread
300 ml (1 1/4 cups) milk
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
30 g (2 tablespoons) butter
160 ml ( 2/3 cup) dry white wine
1 tablespoon of parsley, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
50 g (1/2 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper
50 g (2 tablespoons) butter, melted
50 g (1/2 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a medium bowl, soak the bread in the milk for about 15 minutes.
2. Carefully detach (without breaking) 10 leaves, rinse under running water and blanch for 2 minutes in salted water. Drain well by taking out one leaf at a time. Remove the central rib with a box cutter or very sharp knife and place in a colander being careful not to break them.
3. In a saucepan melt 30 g (2 tablespoons) of butter, add the chopped celery, carrot and onion. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high and deglaze with white wine. Set aside.
5. Squeeze the bread and put in a large bowl. Add the ground beef, crumbled sausage, the fried vegetables, egg, garlic, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Preheat the oven to 200 ° C (400 °F).
7. Take one cabbage leaf at a time, open it, fill it with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of filling in the center. Close to form a package and place it seam-side down in a large baking pan(all rolls must be next to each other, not overlapping). Repeat with all the cabbage leaves. Sprinkle with melted butter and Parmesan. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven, let stand for 8 minutes and serve. Paola
Frank @Memorie di Angelina says
These looks really yummy! I love stuffed cabbage, although I have to admit I haven’t tried this kind before—I’ll have to correct that omission very soon.
Thanks Frank! Try there rolls and let me know 🙂
Phyllis @ Oracibo says
I’ve never tried “Italian” cabbage rolls either…I’m with Frank, trying this version soon…I have the cabbage! I’ve been making Russian style cabbage rolls since I was a kid (Russian mother) and they, besides borscht, are one of my all time favourite things! Thanks for this…will let you know how they turned out!
Thanks Phyllis! I love cabbage too. Try the Italian rolls and let me know! Paola
Christine Stanton says
I have been dying to make these and today was the day. Well, the recipe is so simple and the taste WAS INCREDIBLE! Involtini di Verza (Cabbage Rolls) will be staple for winter meals.
Thank Paola for all your delicious recipes.
Thank to you Christine. I am glad you liked my recipe : yes is simple and tasty! Enjoy your Sunday.