This was my grandmother’s apple cake recipe. This dessert is a wonderful reminder of my childhood, when I spent a lot of time in our country house, enjoying fresh fruit and vegetables and learning delicious recipes. I have never seen another one quite like it. It will always be my favorite, and I hope it becomes one of your favorites as well. If you like apple cake, why not try this version with apricot jam on top?
The apple cake is a classic dessert, which has, over time, taken on the characteristics of the places where it is prepared. In Italy there are different recipes, this one I am sharing is the one that belongs to my region, Lombardy. The recipe is fast and easy, something to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.
The use of apples is common to different cultures because apples are delicious and very healthy – una mela al giorno toglie il medico di torno (an apple a day keeps the doctor away). You can find more information about this fruit in the stuffed baked apples recipe. Why not to try it in autumn when apples are in season?
TORTA DI MELE (APPLE CAKE)
160 g (½ cup + 3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
160 g (¾ cup) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 medium eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
250 g (1 3/4 cups) pastry flour
3 tablespoons milk
5 Granny Smith apples or renette apples
½ organic lemon, zest of
Apricot jam or powder sugar, for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Butter and flour a 25 cm (10 in.) springform pan
2. In a bowl cream the butter with an electric whisk, add the sugar, the lemon zest, the vanilla extract and the eggs, one by one. Mix well
3. Sift the flour and the baking powder together. Slowly add to the butter mix. Add the milk, one spoon at the time. Mix well. The batter should be creamy
4. Peel the apples, cut into quarters. Remove the core and finely slice. Be fast otherwise the apples will turn brown. So add the apples one by one into the batter
5. Mix well the apples into the batter
6. Scrape the batter into the pan and gently level the top with a spatula. Bake for 45 minutes
7. Remove from the oven and let cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes. Then, remove from the pan and let it cool until warm on a cooling rack. Before serving spread on a thin layer of apricot on top. Serve warm. – Paola