A delicious appetizer that satisfies those who love both shellfish and cured meats. The combination of prawns and ham may seem strange (meat and shellfish), but the strong flavor of the Parma ham is pleasantly tempered by the more delicate one of the prawns.
The final addition of Cocoon beer gives a fruity note. You can also replace the “prosciutto” with lard or bacon.
GAMBERONI CON PROSCIUTTO E BIRRA (PRAWNS WITH PARMA HAM AND BEER)
18 giant prawns, cleaned and de-veined
18 slices of Parma ham, thinly sliced
1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
Freshly ground pepper
1 organic lemon
1. Rinse the prawns under cold running water, remove the head, shell and intestine. Make sure the tail stays attached. Rinse again and dry with kitchen paper.
2. Wrap each prawn with a slice of ham, leaving the tail uncovered.
3. Peel the garlic and fry it in a non-stick pan with oil over medium-low heat. Remove the garlic when it is lightly browned.
4. Add the prawns and cook on one side until lightly pink. Turn and cook on the other side.
5. Deglaze with the beer over high heat.
6. Remove from the pan, add ground pepper and sprinkle with some little lemon juice (just a few drop to taste). Serve warm. -Paola