Pumpkin and leeks casserole is an easy, tasty and light recipe, suitable for vegetarians too.
The other day I went to the local market and the pumpkin was very inviting. Coming home I decided to try this new recipe. As you know, I always like to experiment in my kitchen. This time the result was deliciously healthy. Do you like pumpkin? If yes, don’t hesitate to prepare this pumpkin casserole. You will love it! I recommend using a dry pumpkin, like butternut squash.
I used goat ricotta cheese because its sharp flavor pairs well with the sweetness of pumpkin. The addition of smoked caciocavallo cheese gives a delicious taste and stringy texture. Caciocavallo is stretched-curd cheese made out of sheep’s or cow’s milk. Shaped like a teardrop, it is similar in taste to the aged Southern Italian Provolone cheese, with a hard edible rind.
SFORMATO DI ZUCCA E PORRI (PUMPKIN AND LEEKS CASSEROLE)
Total preparation time: 1 h Baking time: 30 minutes Servings: 4-5
1.2 kg (2 ½ pounds) pumpkin puree, about 2.4 kg whole pumpkin
750 g (1 ½ pounds) clean leeks, finely sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
250 g (9 oz) goat ricotta, crumbled
120 g (4 oz) caciocavallo cheese, grated
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven over 180 °C (350°F) and set the baking rack in the middle
2. Cut and clean the pumpkin, remove the seeds and filaments. Steam in a pressure cooker for about 8-10 minutes (according to the size of the pieces). Remove the skin and mash with a fork. Place in a bowl and season with some salt and pepper
3. In a large saucepan over medium heat sauté the leeks in olive oil, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes until the leeks are soft.
4. Butter and dust with some breadcrumbs an 11-cup baking pan (23 x 18 cm; approx. 9 x 7 inch)
5. Spread half of the pumpkin and half of the leeks. Add half of the ricotta and caciovallo. Season with some pepper
6. Cover with a second layer of each the remaining pumpkin, leeks, ricotta and caciocavallo. Season with pepper and bake for 30 minutes. Remove, place on a cooling rack and enjoy slightly warm. – Paola
What a pretty and elegant dish! With the tastes we love this time of year.