A tasty autumn dish, rich in flavor and tradition. Pasta with black kale is a simple and appetizing first course in which kale (also called dinosaur kale) is definitely the star of the show. It is a typical Tuscan vegetable that appears in the markets from October until April. Its leaves have a deep green color and a flavor that goes well with ricotta, a very delicate cheese, and roasted bacon, which adds a tantalizing taste to the dish. In addition to being delicious, kale is rich in vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid) and minerals like potassium, for example. All of these substances help fight the cold-weather ailments. The preparation of this recipe is quick and easy, perfect if you do not have much time to spend in the kitchen, but you are unwilling give up to the pleasure of a tasty dish.
PASTA CON IL CAVOLO NERO (PASTA WITH KALE)
Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
340 g (12 oz) fusilli or penne (any short pasta)
450 g (1 lb) kale, 230 g (1/2 lb) already cleaned
200 g (7 oz) smoked bacon, in thin slices
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil ( extra virgin)
200 g (7 oz) ricotta cheese
60 ml ( 1/4 cup) milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Clean, wash the kale and coarsely chop the leaves into strips of about 2 cm, remove the stalks
2. Cut the bacon into small pieces and roast in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Set aside, keeping a few pieces for decoration when serving. Keep warm
3. In a pan heat the oil, sauté the onion and then add the kale. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2 tablespoons of water, add a pinch of salt, if desired (I do not add it, since bacon is already salty) and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes until kale is tender. Toss in the bacon just a few moments before the kale is ready
4. In a bowl mix the ricotta with the milk until creamy
5. Cook pasta in boiling salted 3 l (3 1/4 quarters) water for about 11-12 minutes (follow the cooking time recommended on the package)
6. Add the ricotta to the kale mix, stir to blend the flavors. Heat over medium flame to warm it up
7. Drain the pasta, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the sauce mixture. Add the cooking water from the pasta. Top with cooked bacon and freshly ground pepper.
Note: When you purchase kale see note on tortino al cavolo nero. Paola
Frank @Memorie di Angelina says
Love these simple but delicious pasta dishes. They’re a staple in our house for weekday suppers.
You are right Frank, simple recipes are part of the family culinary tradition. This works in my family!