These are moist, super healthy, sinfully delicious plant-based brownies. Is this possible? Yes it is! Try my tasty, easy and fast recipe, and you will find out. No fuss, no mess and in no time you have nutritious and tasty brownies that you can enjoy for a snack or dessert.
This recipe combines several nutrients in the right proportions. Sweet potatoes, besides being delicious, are very nutritious because they are rich in fiber (this is important to prevent certain disorders such as intestinal cancer), beta-carotene (the orange ones), vitamin C, B6 and carbohydrates, making them an excellent source of energy. Oatmeal is rich in healthy carbohydrates and protein; hazelnuts are packed with protein, essential fat, vitamins and minerals. In this recipe I used Italian hazelnut from Piedmont, that are the best!!! Dates and bananas are a good source of fiber, minerals and vitamins. Cocoa powder is “the natural drug” rich in many nutrients (flavonoids, antioxidants, and minerals).
In just a single portion you have all you need to satisfy your sweet tooth, with nutrient-rich ingredients to boot! But when enjoying this delicious and seemingly innocent dessert, don’t overdo it(!), because these brownies are high in calories too. Moderation is the secret of a healthy diet – The Mamma Mia! Diet!
BROWNIES ALLE PATATE DOLCI (SWEET POTATO BROWNIES)
Total preparation time: 1 ½ h Baking time: 35 minutes Servings: 10-12
900 g (2 pounds) orange sweet potatoes, steamed, peeled and mashed
250 g (9 oz) date paste
3 medium bananas, peeled and mashed
70 g (½ cup) hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
150 g (5 oz) oatmeal flakes, blended to flour
5 tablespoons coconut oil
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
10 g (2 tablespoons) baking powder
Toasted coconut flakes for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (374°F) and set the baking rack to middle position
2. In a food processor blend together at medium speed the sweet potatoes, date paste, bananas, oatmeal flour, coconut oil and cocoa powder. Then add the baking powder and blend for a few second
3. Add the hazelnuts and mix with a spoon
6. Pour in to 22X18 cm (9×7 inch) oiled or non-stick baking pan
4. Bake for 35 minutes until a little bit dry on top. Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack. Let it rest in the refrigerator for a few hours. Serve with toasted coconut flakes on top. – Paola