Sunday morning is the day of the week when you do not set the alarm clock, you take your time. It’s too late for the typical quick breakfast – cappuccino and bread with jam – but it’s too early for lunch. So how can we satisfy our morning appetite without having to wait until noon? The latest trend, which comes from the Anglophone countries and is also becoming popular in our country, is consuming a tasty and healthy brunch prepared at home with family and friends.
The term brunch derives from combining the two words: breakfast and lunch, a new way to experience the Mediterranean conviviality – a mix of tradition and innovation. The typical menu includes sweet dishes, such as pancakes with maple syrup, fruit pies, yogurt with granola, fresh fruit or fruit salad, and savory dishes such as smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and vegetables. Coffee, tea, fruit juice and water should never be missing.
What I suggest is an appetizing, fast and healthy recipe from my last book The Mamma Mia! Diet: Toasted whole grain bread with poached eggs and avocado. Upon awakening, our body needs proteins, carbohydrates and fats, and this dish provides a healthy and tasty start to our day.
This article has been published in the Italian magazine, La Provincia di Como– 23 October 2018, pag. 194-195.
HEALTHY BRUNCH VS LUNCH – TOASTED WHOLE GRAIN BREAD WITH POACHED EGG AND MASHED AVOCADO
Total preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 3-4 minutes Servings: 4
4 slices of whole grain bread
4 large very fresh eggs
1 tablespoon of white vinegar
3 small ripe Heirloom tomatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces
1/2 medium red onion, coarsely grated
1/2 ripe avocado
1 organic lime, juice
Extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
1. In a bowl mix the tomatoes, onion, a little bit of olive oil (1-2 teaspoons) and ½ of the lime juice. Add some pepper to taste.
2. Fill a wide saucepan with water, add the vinegar and bring to simmer over medium heat. Turn down to low and let the water relax into a brisk simmer. Using a slotted spoon create a vortex. Meanwhile crack one of the eggs into a cup. Gently pour the egg into the water in one fluid movement. Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and let it rest on kitchen paper for a few minutes. Repeat with the other eggs.
3. Peel, de-stone and mash the avocado with the remaining lime juice.
4. Toast the bread.
5. Carefully re-heat the eggs in boiling water for 15 seconds.
6. Spread 1/4 of mashed avocado on each slice of bread, add the tomatoes and onion. Place the eggs on the toasts. Add pepper to taste. – Paola
Leave a Reply